Netball Australia has been informed by Renae Ingles that she is withdrawing from the Samsung Australian Diamonds 2018/19 squad.
Ingles, 32, said she had been going back-and-forth on the decision to step away from the Diamonds.
“It was an honour to be named in the initial squad last month, but I know the commitment required to be a Diamond, especially ahead of a World Cup and, I don’t believe I can commit 100% when my family comes first at this point in my life.
“I’m excited to be putting the Melbourne Vixens dress on again in 2019 and, I want the time away from Vixens to be with Joe [Ingles] and the kids.
“The decision wasn’t easy but, I’m so excited to get on a plane to Salt Lake City with the family and have some down time before preseason starts back in Melbourne.
“I wish all the girls every future success in their campaign for gold at the World Cup in Liverpool next year,” Ingles said.
With 67 Diamonds caps to her name, Ingles is one of Australia’s most decorated netballers, winning gold at both the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and Sydney 2015 World Cup.
Diamonds Head Coach, Lisa Alexander said she fully understands Renae’s decision to withdraw from the squad.
“Renae deeply appreciates the sacrifices required to play international netball, so with family her number one priority, we completely understand and support her decision.
The Diamonds teams for the International Test Series this September and October in Australia and New Zealand will be announced this Friday 31 August.